Sunday, December 12, 2010

Words to Live By

I was already late to our faculty Christmas party that was being hosted by our quite endearing school principal at her home for the first time since I joined our school less than two years ago. I had a vague idea where she lives, but I was pretty sure I'd get there.

Got a great excuse for being late. Check. Got my "Grinch Better Have My Presents!" shirt on. Check. The trays of Filipino-style beef lumpia (eggroll) and puto (rice cake) that I ordered from Cabalen restaurant. Check. My videoke microphone. Check. The Christmas carol lyrics sheets? Hhmmm...

As I quickly browsed this pile of papers on the second ledge of my white book case to look for the lyrics sheets, I chanced upon this piece that looked familiar. I had not seen this in so many years. I didn't even know I still have it. I thought my colleagues were probably waiting impatiently for me, but I just had to read it one more time. As soon as I had put on my reading glasses, the words touched my heart anew. This was the short speech delivered by class valedictorian, Alam Quintero, who was born and raised in Mexico, in a banquet meant primarily to honor the top ten students of Hidalgo High School's class of 2003.  

"There is this special individual I would like to recognize tonight. A unique human being whose hard work, intelligence and integrity as a man impacted the life of many students around him as well as my own. His honesty, loyalty, and always-appropriate advice are only a few characteristics I have come to praise here. The respect I owe this teacher, this better called doctor in life education, is something I cannot possibly describe, for in fact it can only be experienced rather than seen. This individual I am speaking of tonight, has passed through several tribulations. Yet no matter what hardships have befallen him, he always surpassed them all with courage and maturity. That is certainly his way of standing out from everyone else."

"Regardless of where life may take him, he will undoubtedly influence those who can be reached by his grace, and those who can be touched by the kindness of his being. Yes, there may be quite a few individuals who can fulfill some of the above-mentioned qualities. Yet there is only one who meets them all and who in fact has been close to me throughout these past high school years. He has been my coach, my teacher, and my friend. This is the individual who has helped me not only the most, but also the best. Mr. Jope."

I carefully placed the sheet back. I grabbed my jacket and was finally on my way sans the lyrics sheets. It was easy to find Mrs. Cavazos' house. When I finally showed up, it didn't matter that I was late. The greetings were warm. The most important teacher in the world had just arrived from a glorious chapter of auld lang syne.

4 comments:

  1. this makes me feel very good to be a teacher. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'am prouder because of you, Rey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the kind of memories that make teaching worth it and the ones that you will carry in your heart forever.Congratulation on touching Alam 's life so profundly.Alba

    ReplyDelete