Sunday, November 28, 2010

I Am!

There were numerous times that, as a young boy,  I resented the fact that my family was economically disadvantaged. Regretfully, many of those times I failed to keep my frustrations to myself and keep my actions in check.

During one of such unfortunate outbursts, Nanay (pronounced na-nigh, mother) listened with patience and understanding.

"I'm sorry that you resent that your parents are poor."

I sobbed harder.

"Your Tatay and I are the best parents for you."

I stomped on the wooden floor in protest while I continued to sob.

"If we're not the best parents for you and your three sisters, why did God allow me to conceive all four of you?"




Whenever appropriate, I'd tell my students, "If they're not the best parents FOR YOU, why did God allow you to be placed in their care?"

And at times that I found myself vulnerable, my message to my students has been the same: "I am the best math teacher FOR YOU. Why did God allow you to be placed in my class?"

Teaching is my vocation. "Trying to do my best" is not enough.

Who is the best math teacher FOR MY STUDENTS?

I AM!

No comments:

Post a Comment