Saturday, November 27, 2010

Itzel's Dream

I am the proud founder of Feet2Miles, a charitable organization. My former student, Dr. Leonardo D. Lopez, and his girlfriend, Norma H. Morales, are my co- founders. Among its main objectives is to donate slippers (chanclas) to indigent Filipinos.

Initially, I formed Feet2Miles as a group on Facebook on Mother's Day in May this year. The overwhelming support of my Facebook friends inspired me to take this endeavor seriously.

During my vacation in the Philippines this past summer, with the help of my sister Helen and some of our friends, we bought the first 200 pairs of rubber slippers and gave them away mostly to needy kids in the small isolated village called Aspang in the outskirts of the city of General Santos. The joy that I felt then virtually sealed my commitment to the organization. Upon my return here in Texas in August, I promptly registered Feet2Miles with the Office of the Secretary of State, with my friends Dr. Leonardo D. Lopez (US) and Ariel Marco T. Oclarit (PH) and myself as directors.

The first one to sign up with Feet2Miles on Facebook was a former student of mine, Itzel Garcia.

Just recently, Itzel posted on the most popular social networking website an invite to "like it and I'll tell you what I like about you." I did, and the following was her response:

"sir, i like how youu started that feet2mile,
when i get a real job, i wan helppp moree!
I want for feet2mile to go worldwide, and be
famouss & we'll be helping all the kidss
everywhere in the world. My dream come truee!"

Since then, Itzel has communicated to me her desire to help the organization. She is teaming up with our student council to launch a penny-drive to benefit Feet2Miles.

As teachers and educators, we hope to inspire our youth to be good citizens when they grow up.

Interestingly, when we do, we all feel blessed.

1 comment:

  1. Sir, I wanna help out too you know!!!
    I gave some pennies but I didn't know it was for the feet2miles! :o & I also wat a pimp tee :)

    ReplyDelete