Saturday, November 27, 2010

Touchdown!

T-G-I-F!

I felt relieved that the week was over and that I could go home finally to celebrate my birthday. As usual I had planned nothing special for myself. I just looked forward to having a hearty microwaved dinner and enjoying it while watching my favorite shows on cable TV.

It was only October, but I was already looking forward to the five-day thanksgiving break. That year, I added yearbook advisory to my already insane daily work at our high school. So T-G-I-F, indeed!

“So, Mr. Jope, will you be there at the game tonight?” It was Matty, a junior student. I almost forgot that he was still in my classroom. Although I knew he’d be playing football that evening, I made him stay after school to practice for his math competition the following day, Saturday.

“I don’t think so, Matty. I don’t have any energy left in me,” I said to him. “Thanks for inviting me.”

Matty had been an active member of my math team since he was in 6th grade. He also did advance Algebra 1 with me when he was in 8th grade. Despite his successes in sports (he was his varsity football team’s quarterback and his baseball team’s pitcher), he always found time to practice for his math competitions.

This hardworking young man, who was adored by his teachers and peers, continued doing his work for a few minutes more as I quietly waited for him to finish. When he did, I reminded him to wake up early in the morning to catch the bus.

“You have to go to the game, Sir,” Matty insisted. Before he ran out to report to the field house, he added: “Don’t forget to take good pictures for the yearbook. Bye.” 

He only needed to mention the word “yearbook” to convince me to see his game. Now I thought (1) I had to take advantage of the fact that it’s a home game and (2) the football varsity pages would be due in a week!

So I was there at the football stadium that Friday evening, standing close to our mighty Pirates. Not one of my yearbook students was in the crowd to help me take pictures. With two cameras to use, I was hoping to take good action shots, including one of a much-coveted Pirate touchdown. 

The night grew weary, and the game started to deplete me. As an immigrant from a country that never played football, I didn’t appreciate this peculiar American sport. The only thing that kept me interested in the game was the fact that some of our players were my past and present students. As my hope for a good shot of a touchdown started to wane, I also started to feel sorry for myself. It was my birthday after all and I wasn’t even celebrating it!

I decided to leave. I thought I got enough shots for a decent spread. I already had retreated from the field when the home crowd started to get energized again. Our team was gearing up for the long-awaited touchdown. I quickly retrieved the smaller camera from my bag and positioned myself near the end of the field.

Boy, oh, boy! As soon as I found my spot, player No. 10 darted across and scored a touchdown. It was Matty! I was so excited that I forgot to shoot! 

I was about to hurl invectives at myself for failing to capture the lone touchdown when I noticed that Matty held the football in my direction. 

“That was for you, Mr. Jope. Happy birthday!” Matty shouted.

Just when I was almost sure that I wasn’t going to have a happy birthday anymore, I got a surprise. And it was --oh, yes! -- priceless!

No comments:

Post a Comment